Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spring Break: Now & Later (not the candy)

Oh Spring Break. When I was a kid, it meant playing outside, seeing friends and having a grand ole time. Now, it means catching up on hw, projects and unfinished matters of life. OR, like last year, it means GOING ON AN AWESOME CRUISE WITH AWESOME BROWNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year, I went on a cruise with my brown friends to the enchanted and tropical Cozumel, Mexico. It was a fantastic time. We starting planning the trip the previous summer. After putting down part of the deposit, choosing shore excursions, buying plane tickets to Miami where the cruise actually leaves from and cashing in my refund check from school to pay for personal expenses on the cruise itself I WAS ALL SET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, the spring break itself did not start out jolly. I had a midterm the Wednesday before spring break started and my prof told us the project we had put off all semester was going to be due the first Sunday of spring break...LAME!!!! So after not sleeping for 2 days, combined with shopping with my cousin for bathing suits and cute clothes, I finished my project and and rushed off to pack and sleep for all of two hours before getting up at the ass crack of dawn to leave for the air port.

All of us landed safe and sound in Miami. After baggage claim, all of us boarded the bus to go to the port where the cruise would be taking off from. We went through security checks and took tons of "hey-look-at-our-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity-trip-as-broke-ass-college-students" pictures, we finally boarded the ship!!

For some reason, the customs people on the boat decided to confiscate my suitcase. All three of them found their suitcases just fine but mine was like the Where's Waldo? of luggage. I later came to find out the boat people do not allow electronics on board so they confiscated 2 of my power strips and I could get them back only when the cruise ended. Damn Homeland Security thinking I was going to plug in my bomb on the boat and blow everyone up!! Oh well, so no one could charge their cameras and cell phones simultaneously. Whateves.

Despite random setbacks, our jolly journey continued. We snorkeled, rode on a dune buggy, laid out on the beach, went to fancy dinners and of course got drunk (the most important part). I wore a bikini for the very first time and have never felt so exposed in my life. Well, I was born naked but much like a Playboy bunny I was too young to care.

Exactly one year later, I am sitting in the office I work at at school looking out at the oh so bleak Michigan weather wondering why the sun isn't shining. But then I remember: it's Michigan. Oh well at least I have great memories to cherish with great friends. That's all that matters, despite the fact that my camera broke after it got infected with sand. Hopefully, we can have a reunion sometime in the summer and get drunk and reminisce :)

No comments:

Post a Comment